ESP8266 is very highly integrated SOC which includes Xtensa LX106 core processor, RAM, RF front end and allow WIFI TCP-IP stack to be implemented on board with just few components beside ESP8266. It's very new but promising IC and it attracted a lot of attention with its launch.
Mod ESP8266 Wifi card is small and integrates the ESP8266 module, along with a wireless antenna on your PCB. UEXT has connector for connection with Olimex cards with this connector available, such as Olimexino 328 and Olimexino STM-32.
MOD-WIDI-ESP8266 is UEXT module with the famous ESP8266 UART to WIFI IC. This module allows all our development boards with UEXT connector to have access to WIFI via simple AT command set. Our module comes with installed 2MB of SPI Flash while our competitors modules have just 512KB of SPI Flash.
The idea of MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 is to use it as an easy hardware expansion of existing Olimex boards. That is why it has UEXT connector. You plug it in another board with UEXT connector and the hardware connections are complete. It is visible in the schematics that MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 uses only first 4 pins of the UEXT – #1 (3.3 Vcc), #2 (GND), #3 (RXD), #4 (TXD). This means only a data UART interface is available. The rest of the pins of the chip are not routed for easier access - if you need more signals consider MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV or ESP8266-EVB. To update the firmware of the board you would need to change the position of the SMT jumpers.
- 802.11 b / g / n
- Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
- Built-in TCP / IP protocol stack
- Built-in TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
- Built-in PLL, voltage regulator and power management components
- 802.11b mode + 19.5dBm output power
- Built-in temperature sensor
- Off leakage current is less than 10uA
- Built-in low-power 32-bit CPU: can double as an application processor
- MPDU, A-MSDU aggregation and the 0.4 Within wake 2ms, connect and transfer data packets
- standby power consumption of less than 1.0mW (DTIM3)